Extra-Curricular Interscholastic Activities

Are you ready to participate in an interscholastic extracurricular activity?

Step #1: Contact Mr. David LaRosa (239-335-1479) at The School District of Lee County's Public Education Center Student Enrollment Office.  Provide him with the following document:

  • proof of address (preferably FPL or LCEC statement)

Step #2: Mr. LaRosa will assign your student to a school for purposes of participating in an interscholastic extracurricular activity such as an approved sport, a school marching band, etc.

Available extra-curricular activities listing

Step #3: Parent/guardian will then meet with Student Enrollment to finalize registration.  Be sure to have the following documents ready to present:

  • parent/guardian ID 
  • immunization records
  • last physical exam
  • birth certificate

Step #4: Take the "ExtraCurricular Activities Assignment" form to the assigned school.

Step #5: If the desired extra-curricular is a sport, receive the Florida High School Athletic Association packet from the assigned school. Submit the EL7V Form (Verification of Student Registration with Public School District home Education Office) to the Home Education Program office (at the LCPEC) for compliance verification.

Step #6: Return the original signed EL7V Form to the assigned school to finalize student participation in the desired sport.

*Parents are able to change assignments once per year at the beginning of the school year.
*Students with an arrest record will not be placed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can home education students participate in "interscholastic extracurricular activities" offered at public school?

Yes. To participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities, the School District of Lee County, Board Policy 4.07, requires that home education students are given the same opportunity as public school students.

Home Education students must meet the same admission requirements for interscholastic extracurricular activities as a student assigned to that school full time. Admission requirements may include an audition or tryout, academic or age criteria, or other requirements.

What grade levels are allowed to participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities?

Section 1006.15, F.S., primarily addresses students in grades 9-12 but does not prohibit students in lower grades from participation. The by-laws of the governing organization regulate which students, and under what circumstances those students, may participate in the interscholastic extracurricular activity. For example, Section 1006.20, F.S., designated the Florida High School Activities Association as the governing organization for athletics. For the purpose of athletics, the Association defines “high school” as grades 6-12. If athletics are offered in a grade 6-8 school that is governed by this Association, the athletic program must be made available upon request to home education students at that grade level. Section 1006.15, F.S., states that public schools may not belong to any governing organization that discriminates against an eligible home education student.

For a home education student, what are the enrollment periods for interscholastic extracurricular activities?

Essentially, there are two enrollment periods for a home education student:

  • Enrollment for the current school year. This enrollment is anytime, for students wanting to participate in an activity during the current school year.
  • Enrollment for the following school year. This enrollment opens April 1, for students wanting to participate in an activity during the following school year.

What if the interscholastic extracurricular activity requires a class to be taken in order to participate?

If a class is required in order to take part in the interscholastic extracurricular activity, such as band class during the day in order to take part in the school's marching band, the district must afford the home education student the opportunity to enroll for that class, pursuant to Section 1006.15(5), F.S.

Can I take any course that is offered at the school which I am assigned?

No. Only the course that is required as per the extra-curricular activity.

Can districts receive funding when home education students participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities?

No, unless the home education student enrolls in a class required to participate in the interscholastic extracurricular activity. The district may report that student for FTE purposes. Additionally, home education students may be required to pay any of the fees or costs that are required of all participating students.

Can a district develop policies that restrict the access of home education students to interscholastic extracurricular activities?

Districts may establish policies for participation that apply to all students, such as evidence of required immunizations, medical clearance for sports activities, auditions, and class participation. However, the district may not enact policies that would apply different standards to home education students or make it more difficult for them to participate.

Must home education students who participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities offered at public schools comply with school entry immunization requirements?

Yes. If the home education student is participating in interscholastic extracurricular activities under Section 1006.15, F.S., the student must meet the same immunization requirements as students attending any non-home education program.

Can I pick the school of my choice?

No. Student Assignment will assign the school on a rotation basis.

What are the requirements?

The home education student must meet the same requirements as other students participate including residency requirements; immunization records; grade point average (2.0)