This year Student Open Enrollment for the 2018/2019 school year runs from January 22 – March 23, 2018.
It is NOT first come, first serve.
Student Assignment will be staggering the mailing of pre-printed applications. Applications will be mailed to:
Incoming 9th graders attending a District school (not a Charter school) - January 19th
Incoming Kindergarten students currently attending a District Pre-K school (not VPK at a daycare or private center) - February 2nd
Incoming 6th graders attending a District school (not a Charter school) - February 9th
Note: Although application mailings are staggered all students may enroll in person from January 22nd - March 23rd.
Sibling in Attendance
Incoming Kindergarten students currently attending a District Pre-K school (not VPK at a daycare or private center), will be automatically enrolled in the elementary school their sibling is attending.
Incoming 6th graders, that are currently attending a District elementary school (not a Charter school), will be automatically enrolled in the middle school their sibling is attending.
Incoming 9th graders, that are currently attending a District middle school (not a Charter school), will be automatically enrolled in the middle school their sibling is attending.
Understanding Student Assignment
Student Open Enrollment Process
- Parents rank schools available for their subzone of residence
- After enrollment period ends, each application is assigned a random number
- Each application is weighted based on preferences
- Lottery process begins
If you apply AFTER the first enrollment period and have preferences, they will only be beneficial if there are still seats available in that school.
Proximity Preferences* DO NOT help when ranking the proximity school second.
Parents do not have to rank a school with a preference as their first choice school.
*NOTE: See below for information on student assignment preferences.
Zones & Subzones
Each zone separated into three subzones:
- E-1, E-2, E-3
- S-1, S-2, S-3
- W-1, W-2, W-3
Families rank all schools in their subzone and adjacent subzone(s) and any zone attractor schools.
- W-1 will rank W-1 and W-2 schools
- W-2 will rank all schools in the West zone (W-1, W-2, W-3)
- W-3 will rank W-2 and W-3 schools
- If a sibling is currently enrolled and will be enrolled during the next school year in the selected school
- Highest weight in lottery
- Under 2 miles driving distance from school. Bus transportation is not provided to students who live within the two miles as per State Law and Board Policy.
- Second highest weight in lottery
- Siblings with the same address, same guardianship, same application applying to the same school
- Third highest weight in lottery
- 2-5 miles driving distance from school
- Fourth highest weight in lottery
- Greater than five miles driving distance
- Fifth highest weight in lottery