Parents can have a voice in the Head Start/Early Head Start Program by being a representative of the Policy Council. Every program and classroom has a representative Community partners and program staff also are part of the Policy Council.
Policy Council is a decision-making group that gives parents a meaningful role in deciding the direction of the program. They approve or disapprove many of the Head Start decisions such as program plans, budgets and staff. The Policy Council meets monthly. There are also sub-committees including education, activities, male involvement and self assessment. Committees are a great way to make a difference.
Past parents on the Policy Council reported that they developed skills they used later to gain better employment and increased self esteem. They also said they were now more involved in their child's education and more comfortable in their children's schools.
The Head Start/Early Head Start Policy Council of Lee County meets on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. The meeting will begin at 10:00 a.m. and adjourn by 12:00 p.m. Childcare and transportation are available.
The meetings will be held at the Early Childhood Learning Center, 3650 Michigan Avenue, Suite #4, Fort Myers, FL 33916. The Policy Council Executive Board will meet on the 1st Wednesday of every month, at 10:00 am at the same location.
For more information contact
Policy Council Staff Liaison: Maggie Stevens, 332-2512 ext 237
2017-2018 Policy Council Dates
Executive Policy Council Dates
- September 6, 2017 Polcy Council Executive Board
- October 4, 2017 Policy Council Executive Board
- November 1, 2017 Policy Council Executive Board
- December 6, 2017 Policy Council Executive Board
- January 10, 2018 Policy Council Executive Board
- February 7, 2018 Policy Council Executive Board
- March 7, 2018 Policy Council Executive Board
- April 4, 2018 Policy Council Executive Board
- May 2, 2018 Policy Council Executive Board
Policy Council Dates
- August 16, 2017
- September 20, 2017
- October 18, 2017
- November 15, 2017
- December 20, 2017 (9 a.m. to 11 a.m. due to early dismissal)
- January 24, 2018
- February 21, 2018
- March 28, 2018
- April 18, 2018
- May 16, 2018