Can home education students particpate in "interscholastic extracurricular activties" offered at public school?  Yes. To participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities, the School District of Lee County, Board Policy 4.07, requires that home education students are given the same opportunity as public school students.  

What grade levels are allowed to participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities?  Section 1006.15, F.S., primarily addresses students in grades 9-12 but does not prohibit students in lower grades from participation. The by-laws of the governing organization regulate which students, and under what circumstances those students, may participate in the interscholastic extracurricular activity. For example, Section 1006.20, F.S., designated the Florida High School Activities Association as the governing organization for athletics. For the purpose of athletics, the Association defines “high school” as grades 6-12. If athletics are offered in a grade 6-8 school that is governed by this Association, the athletic program must be made available upon request to home education students at that grade level. Section 1006.15, F.S., states that public schools may not belong to any governing organization that discriminates against an eligible home education student.

For a home education student, what are the enrollment periods for interscholastic extracurricular activities? Essentially, there are two enrollment periods for a home education student:
  • Enrollment for the current school year.  This enrollment is anytime, for students wanting to participate in an activity during the current school year.
  • Enrollment for the following school year.  This enrollment opens April 1, for students wanting to participate in an activity during the following school year.

What if the interscholastic extracurricular activity requires a class to be taken in order to participate? If a class is required in order to take part in the interscholastic extracurricular activity, such as band class during the day in order to take part in the school’s marching band, the district must afford the home education student the opportunity to enroll for that class, pursuant to Section 1006.15(5), F.S.

Can districts receive funding when home education students participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities?  No, unless the home education student enrolls in a class required to participate in the interscholastic extracurricular activity. The district may report that student for FTE purposes. Additionally, home education students may be required to pay any of the fees or costs that are required of all participating students.

Can a district develop policies that restrict the access of home education students to interscholastic extracurricular activities? Districts may establish policies for participation that apply to all students, such as evidence of required immunizations, medical clearance for sports activities, auditions and class participation. However, the district may not enact policies that would apply different standards to home education students or make it more difficult for them to participate.

Must home education students who participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities offered at public schools comply with school entry immunization requirements? Yes. If the home education student is participating in interscholastic extracurricular activities under Section 1006.15, F.S., the student must meet the same immunization requirements as students attending any non-home education program.


Step #1:  Visit your local Student Assignment with the following documents, if they do not already have them on file:

  • proof of address
  • immunization records
  • last physical exam
  • birth certificate

Step #2:  Student Assignment will then assign you a school for purposes of participating an extra-curricular activity.  

Step #3:  Take the "Extra Curricular Activities Assignment" form to the assigned school.

Step #4:  If the desired extra-curricular is a sport, receive the Florida High Schol Athletic Association packet from the assigned school.  Submit the EL7V Form (Verification of Student Registration with Public School District home Education Office) to the Home Education Program office (at the LCPEC) for compliance verification.

Step #5:  Return the original signed EL7V Form to the assigned school to finalize student participation in the desired sport.


Can I pick the school of my choice?  No.  Student Assignment will assign the school on a rotation basis.

What if the class is required in order to take part in the interscholastic extra-curricular activity?  The school district will afford the home education student the opportunity to enroll for that class pursuant to Section 1006.15(5).

Can I take any course that is offered at the school which I am assigned?  No.  Only the course that is required as per the extra-curricular activity.  

What are the requirements?  The home education student must meet the same requirements as other students participate including:

  • residency requirements
  • immunization records
  • grade point average (2.0)