NOTE: Current School District of Lee County Public School students may enroll in FLVS Flex courses WITHOUT establishing a Home Education Program. If you are a current public school student who wants to complete FLVS Flex course(s) during the summer, you may proceed with enrollment and seek approval from your current public school admininstration team. Submitting the Notice of Intent with the Home Education Department WILL result in loss of the public school assignment seat/enrollment for August, 2018.
Home Education is a parent-directed education alternative.
Home Education allows the freedom to explore and learn at the pace of the individual student. Parents who provide instruction to their children at home are requested to read carefully and comply with all of the state statutes and regulations governing the operations of a Home Education Program. Home Education, as defined by Florida’s law, is “sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his or her parent in order to satisfy the attendance requirements of 1002.41, 1003.01(13), and 1003.21(1).” Please consult the FAQ portion of the FPEA website for more details regarding home educating at the kindergarten and first grade levels, IS KINDERGARTEN MANDATORY?, http://fpea.com/about-homeschooling/faq.
1. Complete and return the NOTICE OF INTENT (either the Lee County OR FPEA template can be submitted). You may return this document via email, fax, US mail or return in-person.
- [email protected] or [email protected]
- FAX: 239-461-8451
- US mail: Attention: Home Education Department, 2855 Colonial Blvd, Fort Myers, FL 33966
- In person: Lee County Public Education Center, 2855 Colonial Blvd, Fort Myers, FL 33966 via the EAST Entrance
2. Report to current school of enrollment and formally withdraw your student. You will need to return all public or private school property (ie Chromebook, textbooks, library books, JROTC uniform, etc). You will need to complete that school's withdrawal paperwork.
3. Within 30 days of establishing your program, finalize your curriculum provider and actively direct your student's education.
4. Maintain your parent-created portfolio.
5. If your student has a history of truancy, plan to participate in a Portfolio Review with the Home Education Department approximately 30 days following the establishment of your program.