What is Child Find?
FDLRS Child Find works in partnership with the Lee and Collier County Public Schools and the local Early Steps Agency to assist in the identification and screening of children birth to 5 years of age who are not enrolled in the public school system and who have or are at risk of developing disabilities or learning problems.
FDLRS Child Find (Ages 3 - 5)
- Provides Awareness Opportunities to ensure the public and parents are given information on milestones as to the approximate age when a child should perform certain developmental skills. Many problems that can affect a child’s learning can go undetected until a child reaches school age and precious time is wasted.
- FREE Screenings are provided to children ages 3 to 5, not attending public school, who may experience difficulty in any of the following areas: seeing, talking, hearing, learning, physical/motor or emotional/behavioral.
- A Child Find Specialist will meet with you and your child to screen the above-mentioned areas.
- A screening test, the first step in the process, is simply a quick evaluation of your child’s performance.
- Evaluation Services are provided through the Lee and Collier County Public School systems if developmental concerns are identified through the screening.
- The Child Find Specialist refers the child to the school district’s Pre-Kindergarten Evaluation Team or to a Speech/Language Pathologist.
- The Pre-K Evaluation is the next step in the identification of children with disabilities.
- The parent will be contacted to schedule an evaluation appointment.
- The evaluation may include an assessment of a child’s abilities in the areas of cognition, speech, language, self-help, and social/emotional development.
- The parent plays a key role in the evaluation process.
- Once the evaluation is completed, the parents will be invited to attend a meeting to discuss the results and determine if the child is eligible for an Exceptional Educational program.
- Questions? Call our main FDLRS number: 239-337-8363 or 1-888-551-8363.
- To schedule a screening: Call our Child Find Referral line 239-337-8199. You may use the toll-free number 1-888-551-8363 and our assistant will forward you to the referral line. Or use our online referral form.
- Please note that as of July 27, 2016 faxes are no longer received. Please use the online referral form or call the phone number listed above.
FDLRS Child Find Referral (Ages 3 through 5, not attending public school)
Students Attending Public or Private School PreK-12
- PreK-12 Public School
- To refer your child who attends K-12 Public School, please contact your child's school.
- PreK-12 Private School
- To refer your child who attends K-12 Private School
- Lee County - Contact Psychological Services* at (239) 337-8186
- Collier County - Contact the Intervention Support Specialist at your Zone School*